9.10.2007

anticipation of the Kingdom

I've mostly been posting from Benson's website because there are a lot of people who say, "I wanna see pictures of the baby!" So, voila- a whole website full of them! But it's good to get on here and write a little too.. even if it doesn't have quite the draw the other site does :)

Life is so weird. I oftentimes wonder what it would be like to live in a different country. I've been reading a book called "Safely Home" by Randy Alcorn. It's a great book and very insightful into what it's like being a Christian in modern day China. It has been very eye opening to read about the persecution they face, even today. But what has amazed me the most is to see their faith. Now, granted, it is a fiction novel, but a lot of it is based on truth and the main character, Li Quan and his wife Ming are so inspiring. Their faith is so rock solid. In the midst of arrests, beatings and destruction of their home, they continue to praise the Lord and joyfully minister in his name.

We have it so easy in America-- but I wonder if they don't have it better. Jesus said, blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
I think persecution brings faith to life. It makes you cling wholeheartedly and fully to the faith of which you speak. I am so tired of the apathy there is toward faith in my own life. I pray and I read my Bible, but I don't cling, I don't come thristy as the deer pants for water. But I'm thirsiting to be thirtsy- does that make sense? Those who are persecuted are so void of everything this life has to offer that in a sense, Jesus presents them with the kingdom now- they get to enjoy it before any of the rest of us... they seek it, they long for it and they look forward to it with great anticipation each moment of the day. How often do I think about heaven and really yearn to be there?

It's like getting ready for a big Clemson football game-- half the fun of it is anticipating what the tigers are going to be wearing, what you are going to wear, who all you'll see at the game, what the weather will be like, what tailgating food to make, whether or not so and so is going to bring their famous this and that to eat, not to mention talking junk all week about the opposing team, all the while sporting orange outfits! The game is the main event, of course, but it makes it so much fun to be a Clemson Tiger when you're thinking about the game all week-- it's almost like every day is game day.

The Kingdom of Heaven is the main event-- but how often do I think about what my crown will look like, whether or not my friends will be there, what it will look like, what it will be like to walk beside my Savior and savor each moment with him... How often do I talk Junk about the devil like I do about Carolina or FSU?

I didn't get to go to the first game this year because we decided it would be too loud for Benson, but my father in law said that there was a guy standing in Easley holding a sign that said, "Sports is America's God." How provoking. How true.

It makes me ill to think that we are so easily distracted-- that the opponent is having a field day with us and we don't even realize there's a match.

Benson still isn't able to focus very well. He has started smiling a lot though. Lots of times I'll be holding him and he'll be looking to his left and let out the biggest smile and giggle. Then he'll move his eyes to the ceiling and just watch and smile. Maybe it's weird, but I wonder if he's watching angels. I don't know how theologically sound that is, but I think it.

In all ways, I don't want to give the devil a foothold. I know that I am sinful, and that doing good will not get me any closer to heaven than if I tried to walk there. But I do long to please the Lord. I want to my faith to be as easily seen as my love for Clemson! How ridiculous a comparison, but it's true.

On another note:
I think it is important to be nice to the guys who carry out your groceries a Publix. They have a pretty thankless job-- there is this one old man in particular. I wonder why he works at Publix being so old-- did he not have good retirement saved up? Did something happen that used up all of his savings? He said he has three kids and four grandkids... I'm sure he didn't expect to be delivering groceries when he was 65. Maybe he's just bored. I don't know. But regardless, in the midst of hustling out of the store and to your car, I think a little niceness, a little consideration could probably go a long way. I know it would if I were him.

No comments:

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker